Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Driftin'

Over a decade ago, when I was in high school, I started writing songs.  I don't play an instrument or write musical notation, but I enjoy composing lyrics, and often the tunes just come to me.  I've made up silly little ditties since childhood (a heartfelt ballad I loved to sing in the bathtub when I was about eight, on the subject of "Green beans, stretched across the highway for miles and miles," seems to have earned a permanent place in our family lore), but I believe this was my first serious attempt at songwriting.  I've written several dozen more songs since then, but "Driftin'" remains a favorite.

Technically, the song doesn't begin with the first verse.  It's meant to open with a repeated "Na-na-na," sung to the tune of the chorus.  I wasn't about to type it all out, but in the interest of completeness I thought I should mention it.  Oh, and there's meant to be a second voice joining the singer for both the opening "Na-na-nas" and the final chorus.

It takes some sorrow now and then
To show how love can grow again
Without a few unhappy scenes
We could not know what true joy means
So stand up tall when things go wrong
For struggling will make us strong
Will make us strong

CHORUS:
And I know we're driftin' apart
But you have a place here in my heart
Too much we've shared, too much we've cared
To let this fall apart
So can we make a new start
No matter how far we're apart

I am always gonna find my way right back to you
And you will find you're driftin' back to me

We must forgive and be forgiven
If we desire joy in livin'
The seed of love that we two hold
Can linger through the winter's cold
And when the warmer breezes blow
That little seed will grow and grow
Will grow and grow

CHORUS

You are always gonna find your way right back to me
And I will find I'm driftin' back to you

Well, it won't always be easy
But we can make it through
There are some depths in me
That I can only share with you
Well, I know you need your space sometimes
And yeah, I need some too
But this is not the end, you see
Because I know that you love me
And I love you

CHORUS

I am always gonna find my way right back to you
Yes, we shall find we're driftin' back to us

No comments: