Thursday, April 14, 2011

On Knowledge

I went through a sonnet phase when I was fifteen.  I would usually write at least one sonnet a day.  Most of them were contrived and pretty mediocre.  This is without a doubt my favorite one.  My senior year of high school, I entered it in a sonnet contest at Borders and it won second place, so it can't be THAT awful (although come to think of it, some of the poems that placed were THAT awful, so who am I to judge?).  This is Truth trying to make believe she's the next Shakespeare.  Enjoy.

May knowledge stand until the end of time
And ne'er diminish'd be by ignorance!
From basic truths to thought's discourse sublime,
Let precious wisdom ring with permanence!
When knowledge dies, soon follows humankind,
For when we lose our past is naught assur'd,
And biting is the hunger of the mind
Which through all generations has endur'd.
Thus knowledge in accumulation brought
Is treasure richer than the whole world's gold,
And sooner I'd persue these halls of thought
Than precious gems and metals I'd behold.
There is no better place, I must surmise,
Than that most blessed place where knowledge lies!

No comments: