Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To L--------

Today marks the 202nd anninversary of the birth of the poet and short-story writer Edgar Allan Poe.  I have always considered Poe a literary soulmate of sorts; his dark worldview, drenched in tormented passion, resonates deeply with me.  His work may not be everyone's cup of tea, but his ability to evoke a perfectly constructed atmosphere through his selection and arrangement of words must surely be an inspiration to all writers of any genre.  I wrote this poem several years ago in conscious imitation of Poe's style.  It's obviously quaint and a bit of a novelty, but I'm satisfied with the effect.

That day that troubles overtake thee,
And thou hast none to defend thee,
Though every man alive forsake thee,
I attend thee.

Should bitter grievance ever crush thee,
Any cursed foe offend thee,
I pray that heaven's angels rush me
To attend thee.

Whatever plague (alas!) dare harm thee,
Heart's blood shall I shed to mend thee.
Than this no pleasure more could charm me:
To attend thee.

May burdens never break nor bend thee!
Yet if sorrows here must send thee,
To thee I offer still nepenthe:
I attend thee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a really great poem. You should be published!!