Monday, January 17, 2011

Tree

These are the lyrics to a song I wrote over ten years ago, when I was in high school.  It is the song of an all-consuming love that "does not seek its own."  I always had a certain special fondness for it, though I never shared it with anyone, thinking the sentiments a bit too abject, the excess of devotion almost pathetic.  Last August, I shared it with a friend, and she told me it was beautiful and I should blog it.  I told her I would, as soon as I got all my old writings out of storage.  This is the fulfillment of that promise.

You're the tree that grows in the center of my garden
My stately source of shade and pleasure
Your loveliness is constant through the passing of the seasons
The least of your leaves is my treasure
I'm a flower that blooms in the bounty of your garden
One blushing rose among your many
That you love for their colors soft and fragrance sweet
Without truly cherishing any

And I wish I could be your tree
Though I know that can never be
But out of all the flowers in your garden here arrayed
I'll be the first at dawn to open, the last to close at nightfall
And this flower is never going to fade

You're the sun that burns at the focus of my heavens
Vitality every ray giving
I shall turn my face forever to your radiant light and warmth
Sustaining everything living
I'm a star that shines in your vast expanse of heavens
One among too many to number
Too plentiful to matter but who guard your night
Watching over your slumber

And I wish I could be your sun
But I am what I am, and what's done is done
Yet out all the stars in the evening sky displayed
I'll be the first at dusk to greet you, the last you see at daybreak
And this star is never going to fade

Yes, I am your flower
And you are my tree
I am your river
You are my sea
I'm a pearl in your necklace
You're my diamond ring
I'm just another passerby
But you're my everything

Well, I wish I could be your tree
Though I know that can never be
And I wish I could be your sun
But I am what I am, and what's done is done
But even one flower can bring delight
One star can be a guide through the long and lonely night
And as long as you may need me, I'll be standing here unswayed
For my love for you is never going to fade

No comments: